Style Me Modest: Formals 4.27.15

3 comments
Tis the season for formals! Weddings, Prom, Banquet... Style Me Modest, Please...
Remember getting ready for special events and shopping, shopping, SHOPPING... for something to fit your style and comfort level? You know that outfit that fits you perfectly, you feel great, get compliments, You know that one that makes you feel like 10?

... at 5'10 in the 8th grade... I was taller than all my friends, the boys, my mom and many of my elders (awkward!). Shopping was very frustrating for mom and me... sometimes we my mom ended up spending more than we she wanted to simply because there weren't any other options.
Modest Girl's Guide to Prom

So when Jr Prom was several months out I decided to order a dress... I found one, for less than $40 I was so excited- no one would have a dress like mine! Little did I know notice would be sent weeks before the event that it was SOLD OUT! I was crushed and in panic mode. Have you ever been there?! 

There wasn't anything close to my style in the stores where we lived. So we started to the mall to peruse through the prom dresses... at a large retailer... you know after the dresses have been shopped over and nothing is grouped together by size/style...

then I saw it a white empire styled dress very classy and crisp and very expensive. But I tried it on anyway and you know what- it fit perfectly! Mom knew how much I wanted the first dress and how disappointed I was when it wasn't available. She got it for me and we didn't have to spend hours looking for the perfect dress. It turned out to be a pleasant shopping experience for both of us. A dress that actually fit comfortably and was absolutely beautiful... a perfect 10. Thanks Mom!

Finding a dress for Sr banquet in bible school was much easier... I stumbled upon a boutique and found an April Cornell dress with long sleeves. Hooray for sleeves! There were two removable shoulder pads which instantly came out! Using a seam ripper I gently removed all the stitching from one shoulder pad, removed the padding and made a modesty panel to raise the neckline. It was so nice to have a matching modesty panel with my dress! Absolutely no other alterations were necessary. However, I did sew up the button front, for my own comfort.

Now, thanks to the internet, we can find a lot, more options and I am so super excited that the #modestfashionmovement is in full swing! We have so many more choices and designers are actually listening to what we want: longer dresses and skirts, sleeves...

See Dolce & Gabbanna post here, see more Style Me Modest here. Also modest designers like Dainty Jewells are creating beautiful long, dresses with longer sleeves for formal events.

We want to be beautiful, comfortable, classy and covered. And... we don't want to have everything altered, layered, sleeves added, insert modesty panel, safety pin this, tuck here... Can I get an Amen? All the classy ladies stand up!

Have a beautiful week! xo Carmilla

THIS JUST IN!
Modest bridal shop, Chatfields Bridal Boutique, is CLOSING May 30th! The good news for you is that she is selling everything (Prom, Bridal, Bridesmaid) at a STEEP discount -- 15% - 90% off. Please contact the shop right away to schedule an appointment. FYI: Chatfields will continue to operate only through the E-commerce site at: www.modest-couture.com

Shop more modest styles here.

Florals

Style Me Modest: Feature Prom & Banquet 2015 @Carmilla FaShih

Get the look:
Shoes:

3 comments:

  1. I know this all too well. I'm also 5'10 and I remember being devastated when I ordered my dream dress come to find out that it landed well above my ankles WITHOUT SHOES. Glad there are more options now.

    Hi from the Peony Project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya, I’m really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossip and net stuff and this is really annoying. A good web site with exciting content, this is what I need. Thank you for making this website, and I’ll be visiting again. Do you do newsletters by email?
    riker shoes gujranwala

    ReplyDelete